Changes to Custody and Parenting Plans

Trust our team of expert attorneys in Manhattan and Brooklyn to help win your case.

If you are like most people – and had trouble agreeing on a custody or parenting plan with the ex – agreeing on a modification is going to be just as hard. That’s why you need an experienced lawyer who can help you navigate this complex legal process. The modification not only has to work for you and your ex, but also the court. We understand just how intimidating this procedure can be, but you can rest assured that we will help you through it.


One of the most common reasons to get custody or parenting plans modified is that one parent is moving. If you previously did not address this type of change in the plan, you need to decide how it will work. Perhaps you did address it, and need to make some changes to the agreement now that the move is coming up.

If one parent is suddenly not qualified to live with the child, you will need to change the custody plan. For example, if your ex had either sole or joint custody and is now doing drugs, drinking alcohol excessively, or abusing the child, you should get the custody plan modified so your child is safe. Whether you or another responsible person is going to get custody, the official plan needs to be changed so that it is legally sound.

Some life events necessitate a change in the parenting plan. For example, if you work longer hours and can no longer watch your child on the agreed upon days, you will need to modify the court order. If you previously lacked a safe home for the child, holding you back from overnight visits or increased custody rights, you can get the court order modified once you can show that you now have a home fit for the child.

Even remarriage may be a good reason to change the custody or parenting plan. Whether you or your former spouse has married someone else, or made any of these other changes, you should contact us to find out how to proceed.


If you are suspicious about why your ex wants to modify the plan, you should come to us for help. The same goes if your ex mysteriously refuses to agree to a modification, despite you being able to prove that it is warranted. Unfortunately, it is not uncommon for a parent to accuse the ex of abuse or drug use because he or she wants to keep custody of the child. If your ex refuses to let you modify the parenting plan or custody plan, even when the change would be in the best interest of the child, let us know.

On the other hand, if your ex is trying to modify the parenting plan, and you are worried about the outcome, contact us. We will do our best to help you protect your children in the event that your ex has sinister reasons for wanting a modification.

We want to make sure your children are safe, and that the modification process goes smoothly. If you want to get the procedure over with as soon as possible, call Brian D. Perskin & Associates P.C. today.

Top New York Divorce Attorneys

Schedule a Consultation Today

Scroll to Top