Grandparents’ Rights in New York

Trust our team of expert attorneys in Manhattan and Brooklyn to help with your case.

A divorce or legal separation affects a child’s relationship with his or her grandparents just as it affects a child’s relationship with his or her parents. Grandparents’ rights are an issue that the attorneys at Brian D. Perskin & Associates P.C. are familiar with. We understand the importance of these rights as they relate to a child’s emotional wellbeing and work with grandparents in order to uphold and preserve these rights.

Are you a New York grandparent trying to get custody or visitation rights for your grandchild? A New York family law attorney is your best option if you would like to have a chance to be involved in your grandchildren’s lives. When your relationship with your grandchild has been unjustly terminated due to divorce, or if the parent or parents of your grandchild have lost their lives, an attorney can help you obtain visitation rights or possibly custody of your grandchild or grandchildren.

A New York family lawyer at Brian D. Perskin & Associates P.C. can help. At our firm, our legal team has over forty years of collective legal experience in the area of divorce and family law. Grandparents’ rights are an important part of our practice, and we use our knowledge and experience in this area to fight for your rights in remaining in your grandchild’s life. At our firm, we help families throughout Brooklyn, New York, Manhattan, Bronx and Queens.


There is no question that a child will have a rich and full childhood with the loving relationship of grandparents. Most everyone remembers visiting grandma or grandpa, getting fresh baked cookies or listening to childhood stories from so many years ago. When a divorce threatens this relationship, contact a lawyer at Brian D. Perskin & Associates P.C. to help.

Although a newer concept than a mother or father’s custody and visitation rights, grandparents’ rights are becoming more recognized throughout New York and the rest of the United States. With an attorney to advocate your rights and represent you in court, you can petition to obtain visitation rights or sometimes even custody of your grandchildren (if the parents are unfit).

The court will determine what is in the best interest of the child in these cases, reviewing your past relationship with your grandchild and your efforts to stay in contact despite the parent or parents’ efforts to sever your relationship.

Top New York Family Law Attorneys

Schedule a Consultation Today

Scroll to Top