New York Contested Divorce Attorneys
Trust our team of expert divorce attorneys in Manhattan and Brooklyn to help win your case.
Understanding Contested Divorce in New York
Facing a divorce can be stressful and emotionally draining. This can be especially true if you are facing a contested divorce. A contested divorce in New York is when both parties cannot agree on one or more issues related to the divorce. A contested divorce can be a more complicated and time-consuming process than an uncontested divorce, which is when both parties agree on all issues related to the divorce.
Some common issues where couples cannot reach an agreement are:
When couples are not able to agree on all aspects of their divorce, they will proceed with a contested divorce in New York. This will usually consist of court hearings with a judge that will help determine how the issues listed above are resolved. Having a New York divorce attorney represent you during a contested divorce is critical. They can not only help guide you through the process, but they can also ensure that all the necessary documentation is filed on time and that your rights and assets are protected.
Preparing for a Contested Divorce Trial in New York
Preparation is essential in contested divorces. Understanding what the process will entail will not only give you a better idea of what to expect, but it can also give you a leg up during the divorce process. Here are some steps we recommend anyone facing a contested divorce in New York to take in order to make the process a little bit easier:
- Gather financial documents: If the division of property is a contested issue, it is important to gather all financial documents, including bank statements, tax returns, and investment account statements, to provide to your attorney.
- Develop a parenting plan: If child custody is a contested issue, it can be helpful to develop a parenting plan outlining your proposed custody schedule and any other arrangements related to your children.
- Consider your goals: It is important to think about your goals for the divorce and what outcomes are most important to you. This can help you and your attorney develop a strategy that makes the most sense for your situation.
- Manage your emotions: Divorce can be emotionally difficult, so it is important to take care of yourself and seek support from family, friends, and/or a therapist.
- Be prepared for negotiation: Even in a contested divorce, negotiation is often necessary to reach a settlement. Be prepared to compromise on some issues in order to reach an agreement.
- Keep communication open: If possible, try to keep lines of communication open with your spouse to work toward a settlement. Additionally, it is just as important to communicate through your attorneys to avoid any misunderstandings or miscommunications.
- Hire an experienced divorce attorney: A contested divorce in New York can be complicated, so it is important to hire an experienced New York divorce attorney who can guide you through the process and represent your interests.
Preparing for a contested divorce in New York requires careful planning, managing expectations and your emotional well-being, and a willingness to negotiate and compromise in order to reach a resolution.
What to Look for When Hiring a Divorce Attorney in New York
If you’re facing a contested divorce in New York, hiring an attorney is strongly recommended for both parties. However, it’s important you hire the right attorney to get the best outcome from your case. When you’re in the process of determining which attorney is a good fit for you consider the following:
- How long has the attorney been practicing in New York?
- Does the attorney practice exclusively in the areas of divorce and family law?
- Is the attorney familiar with the judges, laws, and court systems in your area?
- How much experience does the attorney have representing contested divorces in New York?
- Is the attorney a good communicator?
- Does the attorney have the appropriate staff to facilitate communication in the event of their absence?
- Would you trust your attorney to represent you in the event of your absence?
When hiring a divorce attorney in New York to represent you it is important to consider their experience, subject matter expertise, communication, and how much you trust them. Even more important, you need to act fast. No one wants a Soprano’s situation on their hand, where they are unable to attain the representation they want, because their spouse had a consultation with them first. At Brian D. Perskin & Associates we have over 40 years of experience handling divorce in New York. Contact us today to see how we can help you get through your divorce.