When both parties involved in a marriage have worked out the important issues pertaining to their divorce without court help, it is considered an uncontested divorce. Uncontested divorce, often called the simple divorce, is very common due to its simplicity and low cost. If a husband and wife can agree on the terms for division of property, child custody and child support issues, then they can usually separate amicably.
Even though you and your spouse may be parting on good terms and agreeing on important issues, it is still in your best interest to speak with a New York divorce lawyer. Brian D. Perskin & Associates P.C. has handled many uncontested divorce cases successfully. When you work with an attorney at our firm, you can be assured that you will be retaining an experienced divorce attorney who will guide you through this process.
At Brian D. Perskin & Associates P.C., we handle uncontested divorce cases throughout Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx, Manhattan and New York. We are skilled in obtaining favorable outcomes for our clients in regards to property distribution, child custody, spousal support and visitation.
REQUIREMENTS FOR AN UNCONTESTED DIVORCE IN NEW YORK
Certain requirements must be met before a lawyer may be able to file your uncontested divorce in New York. If you meet the following requirements, a lawyer at our firm can represent and counsel you:
- You and your spouse agree on the grounds for divorce, which are:
- Abandonment (must be for more than one year)
- Constructive abandonment (either you or your spouse has refused to have sexual relations for more than one year)
- Written separation agreement
- Cruel and inhumane treatment
- If you have children, you and your spouse must agree child custody and the exact amount of child support, or have an Order from Family Court.
- There is property to divide between the two of you. This includes bank accounts, pensions, real and personal property. In the state of New York, it does not matter whose name is on the accounts or the property. Any property acquired during the marriage is considered marital property and is subject to equitable distribution. Also, any increase in value of separate property may be subject to equitable distribution.
- You or your spouse has lived in New York for at least one year.
A New York uncontested divorce lawyer at Brian D. Perskin & Associates P.C. will only represent you. Under no circumstances will a lawyer at our office represent both the husband and wife. There are ethical principles involved, and our firm takes these into close consideration. When you work with an attorney at our firm, we will go through the key issues surrounding your divorce. We will also prepare all legal documents for the execution of your divorce and send them to your spouse so they can be signed.
Your attorney will listen to what you have to say and answer all of your questions. We pride ourselves in providing our clients with the information they need keep the process simple, prompt, and painless. To learn more, contact a New York uncontested divorce attorney at our firm today!
*If you are in the military, please click here for more information on New York uncontested divorce for members of the United States armed forces.
CONTACT US AND WE WILL GET BACK TO YOU TODAY
For more information about how our office can help with your divorce matter, please contact a New York divorce attorney from our firm to receive our comprehensive legal support.
Call 718.875.7584 to learn more information about our services