A Step-by-Step Guide for Changing Your Name After Divorce in NYC

There are two kinds of people in the world: those who wish to change their name after divorce, and those who don’t. Some women find it therapeutic to return to their maiden name, while others, well, they could care less.

Follow these instructions if you want to change your last name, or call us at 718-875-7584 to find out more.

Get Permission from the Court

You must get permission from the court before you are allowed to officially change your name. Usually, the permission can be found in your Judgement of Divorce (JOD). If it cannot be found in your Judgement, you need to contact the court and either request an amendment, or file a Petition for Name Change.

Important Documents

Along with a Certified copy of your JOD, you will also need a valid government ID (like your driver’s license), and your birth certificate. You can check the NYS Department of Health to get copies. These documents will need to be submitted to financial institution or agency you wish to change your name with.

Who Should You Tell?

In addition to telling your family, friends, and employer about your name change, you should also contact the following:

  • Social Services and the DMV
  • Shipping companies, such as the post office or USPS
  • Health and life insurance companies, or medical providers
  • Banks, creditors, or other financial institutions
  • Your children’s school (via phone, letter, or email)

Work With a Brooklyn Family Law Firm

While there is no time frame for a name change in New York, most people choose to get the ball rolling immediately following their divorce. The process usually goes off without a hitch, however, there is the occasional roadblock with the court.

If you find yourself struggling with the name change process, call Brian D. Perskin & Associates P.C. for help. We can petition the court on your behalf, alleviating any post-divorce stress or anxiety you may feel. Don’t hesitate: contact us at 718-875-7584 today!

Scroll to Top