Divorce. Just the word alone may conjure up feelings of anxiety regarding the unknown. Entering into uncharted waters can be scary and confusing, especially if you aren’t familiar with the New York City Unified Court System. This makes it all more important to consult with an experienced New York divorce lawyer about your case. The team from Brian D. Perskin & Associates P.C. will provide you with a fair and honest assessment of your situation and help you work through the divorce process.
When You Need a Lawyer
Filing for an uncontested divorce, where there are no children or assets, can easily be accomplished by using an uncontested divorce packet. But what about cases that aren’t so cut and dry? Here are the top 10 signs you should highly consider (or, most definitely) hire a matrimonial and family law attorney:
- Your divorce is contested (meaning one party is disagreeing with the terms, or they are refusing to sign).
- You have marital property, shared assets, or other investments.
- Either you or your spouse owns your own business.
- You have reason to believe that your spouse is hiding assets.
- Your divorce involves children, and you are anticipating a custody battle.
- You do not know where your spouse is. It is very hard to get divorced without your spouse’s knowledge. This is an incredibly daunting and long process, which should only be handled by an experienced matrimonial attorney.
- If your marriage was abusive in any form, you may not be able to negotiate a fair settlement. An attorney will be able to protect you and fight for your rights. Additionally, a family law attorney will be able to properly petition the court for an Order of Protection.
- You previously used a “quick divorce” or “discount divorce” service, and your divorce was either not filed properly or rejected.
- Your divorce has been finalized; however, your spouse is violating or ignoring court orders. Such violations can include: refusing to pay child or spousal support, withholding visitation with children, or moving the children out of the state.
- Your spouse has already hired a divorce lawyer. If your spouse is represented, you should be, too.
The Divorce Process is Complicated
As you can see from the list above, the divorce process is complicated. You can simplify the divorce process by working with a New York divorce lawyer from Brian D. Perskin & Associates P.C. Our team understands the emotions of going through a divorce and what it takes to make sure you come out with your head above water.
The sooner you contact our firm, the sooner we can help alleviate some of the stress associated with divorce. There’s so much that can go wrong when you try your own hand at divorce. With a New York divorce lawyer by your side, you can rest assured that the divorce process will go smoothly from start to finish.
Headed for Divorce? Call a New York Divorce Lawyer Today
While looking for an attorney, it is important to do your research. You do not want to hire a passive attorney who favors mediation if your case requires an aggressive litigator who will fight for you in court. The law firm of Brian D. Perskin & Associates has built its reputation on courtroom victories and facilitating equitable settlements. From uncontested divorces to child custody, and yes, even difficult contested cases, Brian D. Perskin & Associates has an attorney that is right for you. Contact the family law firm at (718) 875-7584 to schedule a consultation and discuss your options today!